Rhubarb pie, again? Yes, rhubarb pies have been done and done again. But in my opinion, they are timeless and once combined with custard, there's nothing quite like it! The sweet, creamy egg custard balances out the tart rhubarb so well.
The delicate balance of sweet, creamy and tart makes this the perfect summer treat!
Where Can I Find Rhubarb?
Rhubarb is available from late winter into early summer. Hot house/ greenhouse rhubarb will be available earlier in the year, while field grown rhubarb comes into season throughout spring and into early summer. Check your local farmer's market, veggie stands and grocery stores. You can also often find it frozen. Frozen rhubarb generally works well in recipes too, just make sure you thaw it first and pat off the excess water.
I am fortunate because my boyfriend's grandmother grows it herself. She kindly gave me some to use for this recipe, but made me promise to save her a slice or two.
I find something so special about using ingredients that have grown in the same soil we were raised on. That's why I encourage people to buy locally and seasonally- that connection to our food is so important!
How to Pick Out Good Rhubarb?
You want to look for plump, firm stalks with red throughout. Generally, stalks that are more green are older and less flavourful, while the red stalks are younger, sweeter and more tender.
Overview: How to Make Rhubarb Custard Pie
- Prep your pie crust. You can use any crust recipe you would like for this, or use a store bought crust if you are short on time.
- Chop your rhubarb and cook in a saucepan with sugar. This will help take some of the tartness away from the rhubarb and also help remove some of its water so you're not left with a soggy pie.
- Combine your dry ingredients.
- Combine your wet ingredients and stir into the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the cooked rhubarb.
- Pour into the prepared pie shell.
- Place additional rhubarb pieces on top. There are many beautiful designs you can try! Google some rhubarb pie designs or look up #rhubarbtart on Instagram for some inspiration.
- Bake until set in the middle.
- Let cool and enjoy with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.